top of page

Entry-Lever Driver Training Requirements

Updated: Sep 30, 2022

Why Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)?

President Obama signed a new, two-year transportation bill into law on July 6, 2012.

The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, a renewal measure, "MAP-

21"; P.L. 112-141). This new law includes numerous crucial elements meant to

contribute to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) vital

mission to lessen heavy truck and bus-related collisions, injuries, and fatalities.

Numerous MAP-21 provisions follow the Agency's strategic plan to enhance

by adhering to its three guiding principles to support commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safety.

  • Increase the requirements to work in the sector and on our roads.

  • Maintain operations while holding motor carriers and drivers to the highest levels of safety; and

  • Remove and forbid the operation of the most dangerous drivers, vehicles, and carriers from our roadways.

Final Decision

The ultimate decision was released on 12/8/2016. (Final Ruling)

The decision's implementation date was originally set for 2/7/2020 but was later moved to 2/7/2022.


We've made a small glossary for you to use when reading this page because it contains a lot of acronyms.

CLP = Commercial Learner's Permit

CDL = Commercial Drivers License

ELDT = Entry Level Driver Training

FMCSA = Federal Motor Carrier Association

TPR = Training Provider Registry

BTW = Behind the wheel training

P = Passenger S = School Bus

H = Hazardous Material

E = No manual transmission

DOL = Department of License

DMV = Department of Motor Vehicle


How Does ELDT Affect You?

The ultimate decision established new requirements for those seeking their first CDL. Additionally, it applies to anyone making their first transition from a Class B to a Class A CDL, hazardous materials, passenger, or school bus.

Make sure the training provider you plan to attend is listed on the FMCSA ELDT Registry if you wish to obtain a CDL after 2-07-2022. On the FMCSA website, you may find the Registry.

Any Exemptions?

You are exempt from ELDT requirements if you receive your CLP before 2-07-2022. However, if you don't get your CDL before the CLP expires and you need to renew your CLP, you will then need to adhere to all ELDT requirements and undergo training from a provider. Make sure you are aware of your expiration date because CLPs are valid for six months from the date of issuance.

How do I obtain a CDL after 2 July 2022?

Step 1: Find your local DOL/DMV and inquire as to whether your state will adopt the new EDLT criteria or if a higher level of CDL training is necessary. In some states, CDL training is also governed by the State Education Board. By being aware of your state's criteria, you may ensure that the training provider you select complies with them as well.

Step 2: Finding the ideal training provider for you is step two. Inquiring about your employer's status with the FMCSA TPR registration is a smart place to start since some companies offer in-house training. If you don't have an employer or your employer isn't registered, search your area for a training provider who offers the courses you need. Verify that they are on the TPR and that they have completed the necessary local and state training. Most states will have a list of CDL training providers that have been vetted.

Step 3: You've chosen a school, get your CLP now. You can pick up your local DOL or DMV's state CDL Driver guide to study

Step 4: Now that you have your CLP (permit), begin your training.

Three learning areas make up the CDL Class A, B, and endorsements: theoretical (Knowledge), behind-the-wheel (Public highways), and range (Backing).

The training provider must impart knowledge in each of the three categories in order for the course to be considered Certified. Each written or electronic assessment given must be documented by the training provider. To pass the course, the CLP holder must receive at least 80% on the assessments. Hard copies or electronic records of the results must be retained for auditing purposes.

Range and public road training make up the behind-the-wheel training for the Class A/B CDL, Passenger, or School Bus endorsement. Each maneuver must be executed expertly and demonstrated to the training provider's satisfaction.

The minimum number of hours a driver-trainee must spend receiving hands-on instruction for Class A, Class B, passenger, or school buses is not specified in the FMCSA rule. You must still adhere to all local and state laws even if your state's training standards are higher than those of the FMCSA ELDT.

Instructors must go over the necessary material for a student driving, as well as determine and record that each student has shown mastery in each component.

of the BTW course of study.

The trainee's information is subsequently uploaded to their local state agencies and the FMCSA TPR Portal once all training criteria have been satisfied. The CDL exam can now be scheduled by trainees with a state or independent tester.

Entry-level driver training is important for all drivers, especially those who are just starting out. The skills and knowledge you learn in ELDT will help keep you safe on the road and can even save your life. If you’re looking to get your CDL after 2 July 2022, be sure to check out our website for more information about how to obtain a CDL. Thanks for reading!

5 views0 comments
bottom of page